Frequently Asked Questions

At DOGTAG we've tried to set the benchmark for clarity and make our coverage as easy to understand as possible. If you have questions, you'll most likely find the answer in the FAQs below. 

All FAQs are arranged to make the information easy to find, and there's also a search feature🔎 at the top right corner of the page.

If you still feel you need help or advice, please contact us. The best method is to email us, but feel free to call. Our telephone numbers are displayed at the top of your browser window, and our full contact information is available here.

Goto Who’s Eligible For Coverage? FAQs
Goto Medical FAQs
Goto Tricky Situations Abroad FAQs
Goto Cancellation & Delay FAQs
Goto General Coverage Information FAQs
Goto Changes and Upgrades FAQs
Goto Claims FAQs
Goto Sports Cover FAQs
Goto Affordable Care Act FAQs FAQs

Who’s Eligible For Coverage?

Who can buy DOGTAG travel insurance?

Anyone who is traveling 100 miles or more from his or her home can purchase DOGTAG.

DOGTAG is a great option for these situations: 

    • Your home country health insurance plan will not cover your sport (check with your carrier to know for sure).
    • Your home country health insurance plan will not protect you when you travel abroad.
    • Your home country health insurance plan has a high deductible.

DOGTAG travel insurance pays after your home country health insurance plan pays. If your home country plan has a deductible, DOGTAG will pay that deductible.

Example: Dan, a U.S. resident travels from Alabama to Nebraska and is injured while skiing. His medical bills total $5,000. His home country health plan has a $2,000 deductible, after which it will pay the remaining $3,000 for his bills. DOGTAG, after confirming that Dan’s home country plan has a $2,000 deductible, will pay the $2,000 toward the bill or reimburse Dan if he paid the bill.

What is the maximum age limit on your policies?

Coverage is not available for ages 65 and older.

Can children traveling alone have coverage?



How do I use my Emergency Medical Information page?

Once you've bought your DOGTAG 100% Proof Travel Insurance you'll get a confirmation with your DOGTAG identity number and password. Simply go to the Members tab or the log-in (available on each page) and type in your DOGTAG number. You'll then be asked for your Tag number and password. Once you log in you'll arrive at a welcome page.

The topic on the left-hand panel gives you the opportunity to check your policy details and update the medical information for each member of your insured party.

What happens in a medical emergency?

This is when your personalized Dogtag comes into play!
If you have a medical emergency and need to prove you're insured or if a medical provider needs to access your medical information, it's easy! He or she can check your dogtag and visit the website written on the back of it.

Once there, the medical provider chooses the red Emergencies button on the Home page and enters:

  • Your Tag number
  • Your name (as shown on your Dogtag).

They can then access several important pieces of information that you have chosen to display there:

  • A statement of validity and currency of your DOGTAG insurance plan document
  • Any medical details which you have chosen to publish for use in an emergency
  • Details of your next of kin

You can also use this DOGTAG system in the same way if you need to contact us in an emergency, or you can log in to your own personal DOGTAG system using your tag number and password.

What is a pre-existing medical condition?

Pre-existing conditions are defined in detail in the plan document. A brief summary is shown here.   Pre-existing conditions include any medical condition, sickness, injury, illness, disease, mental illness or mental nervous disorder that existed with reasonable medical certainty during the 36* months before your coverage with DOGTAG began, whether or not previously manifested, symptomatic, known, diagnosed, treated or disclosed. This includes but is not limited to any medical condition, sickness, injury, illness, disease, mental illness or mental nervous disorder, for which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received or for which a reasonably prudent person would have sought treatment during the 36* months before your coverage with DOGTAG began. *For individuals traveling outside the United States and Canada, the period is 12 months instead of 36 months.

What happens if I discover I am pregnant before traveling?

If you find out you are pregnant, it is your decision whether you wish to continue with your travel plans. Please know that this plan does not cover pregnancy expenses or illness resulting from pregnancy, childbirth, or miscarriage; or miscarriage resulting from an accident or complications of pregnancy; or postnatal care.

If I am rushed home in an emergency when does my coverage end?

For any sports injury that occurs during your trip and results in a medically necessary emergency medical evacuation or repatriation, your covered expenses will be paid up to the maximum stated in the schedule of benefits in your plan document. 

When does coverage begin?

Your coverage begins at 12:01 AM North American Eastern Time on the latest of the following dates:

    • The day and time we receive your application and plan cost
    • The date you request for your coverage to begin
    • The moment you travel 100 miles or more from your home

Tricky Situations Abroad

Which countries are excluded from your policies?

We do not cover travel to Iran or Syria. 

You can enter your home country address or another address to buy this plan. If you have any questions about purchasing, contact us and we will be happy to help.  

What’s the difference between a Travel Alert and a Travel Warning?

A Travel Alert occurs when the U.S. Department of State advises the public to be careful and alert when traveling to a particular country or region. A Travel Warning is a specific declaration by the Department of State that advises United States citizens not to travel to a country or region. There may appear to be little difference between the two terms, but each one means something entirely different.

Cancellation & Delay

What happens if I need to cancel my trip?

If your trip is cancelled before the start date of your coverage, immediately notify us by emailing us. A full refund will be issued minus a $30 administrative fee.  

What happens if I need to come home early from my trip?

Your coverage includes protection for trip interruption in certain circumstances. If you are on your trip and must return home earlier than expected, please call Dogtag Assistance on 844-662-3938 and we will assist you and advise you of your coverage.

General Coverage Information

What are the full benefit and coverage details?

You can download and view the policy details and other relevant documentation HERE in our Download Zone.  You can also see a table summarizing the coverage and benefit levels  HERE. The list of sports and activities that we cover can be viewed HERE.

Is sickness covered by this Plan?

Yes. This policy covers both Accidents and Sickness.

Are valuables covered by this plan?

Yes. The policy has provisions for coverage of your personal baggage and or your sports equipment rentals. Coverage differs depending on the level of coverage purchased. Please check your policy for the specific coverage in the plan you purchased. If you have not yet purchased please see all the of the policy choices in the download zone here.

Am I covered if my tour operator or airline declares bankruptcy or default?

Yes, all the policies provide coverage for bankruptcy or default at different levels depending on your policy choice.

Bankruptcy and/or Default of Your Travel Supplier that occurs more than fourteen (14) days following Your EffectiveDate. Coverage is not provided for the Bankruptcy or Default of the agency from whom You purchased Your Land/Sea Arrangements.  Your Scheduled Departure Date must be no more than fifteen (15) months beyond Your Effective Date. Benefits will be paid due to Bankruptcy or Default of anairline only if no alternative transportation is available.If alternative transportation is available, benefits will be limited to the change fee charged to allow You to transfer to another airline in order to get to Your intended destination.

Changes and Upgrades

I bought a policy and now wish to change my personal details or coverage.

To change personal details and extend your trip dates, please email us using the email form which you can access HERE with your name, certificate number, and the details of the requested change. In most cases, we will update your information and email you a new ID card.

Please note:  If you need to extend your trip dates, there may be an additional premium to pay.  


I have lost my policy details.

Don't worry! You can log into you membership using the log-in link at the top of the page. All you need to log in is your Dogtag number (or your email address) followed by your password. Once logged in you will see a link to download your policy documentation. While you're there you can update any of your personal information too.

What if I bought a policy and decide that I no longer need it?

You can request to cancel your coverage in writing before your coverage starts. Please email us using this email form with your policy details and and we will provide a refund minus a $30 administrative fee. Using this email system will speed up our response to you.


How do I file a claim?

You can download a claim form HERE.

Submit the following documents with your completed claim form

  • Detailed bills for services received
  • Receipts for payments made
  • Any other supporting medical documentation provided
How will you send my claim reimbursement to me?

We have the ability to send claim reimbursements by check (in U.S. dollars only), wire transfer, or ACH transfer. Reimbursements are issued based upon the instructions you provide on the Payment Authorization Form. This is included with the Proof of Loss claim form and should be submitted with the rest of your documents to

How do I appeal my claim?

You may appeal the decision made on your claim by filing an appeal with us. 

What if I paid for my medical bills in a foreign currency and my receipts are in a foreign language?

We will have your documents translated. If your claim is covered, you will be reimbursed in U.S. dollars, based on the exchange rate for the U.S. dollar on your date of service. If your claim is covered and a wire transfer occurs, your reimbursement will be sent in the currency listed on the Proof of Loss claim form. Please keep in mind that claims must be submitted within 90 days from the date of service.

Sports Cover

How do I find out if my sport is covered?

DOGTAG provides sports travel insurance for a comprehensive list of the sports. The list of sports is huge, and the easiest way to see if your sport is covered is to check the Sports List.

Certain sports are excluded, and we do not cover these under any circumstances.

Does DOGTAG offer Extreme Sports Travel Insurance and what's the definition of extreme sports?

DOGTAG covers a large number of extreme sports. There is no specific definition of extreme sports. Each sport is rated as either Sport, Extreme, or Extreme+ according to its own merits. Sports and activities falling into the Sport+, Extreme, and Extreme+ categories are more expensive than the Sport category. Certain extreme sports are considered so high-risk that we specifically exclude them from coverage. To check which category your sport falls under, click Sports List. If you do not see your sport listed please contact us.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you choose the correct coverage level for your sport.

Do you provide Scuba Diving cover and what does it cover?

DOGTAG provides scuba diving coverage in its minimum level of sport coverage (Sport) to a maximum depth of 30 meters. Coverage for diving to a maximum depth of 50 meters is provided under our Extreme level of sport coverage but to dive to this depth you must be PADI qualified or be under the tutelage of a PADI qualified instructor.

Do you cover backcountry (off-piste) skiing and how do you define backcountry (off-piste) skiing?

The generally accepted understanding of off-piste (or backcountry) skiing or boarding means going out of bounds, i.e. outside the resort boundary (if there is a boundary) or simply off the marked ski runs (pistes) if within the resort area.

If you are going out of bounds or outside marked areas of the resort, we recommend you do so with a fully qualified local guide because, in our view, you will be taken to the best areas and have a higher degree of comfort concerning your safety. However, we do not insist that you take a guide. You are insured for backcountry skiing without a guide, if you are not going alone or going against advice. And remember, even some areas within a resort may be considered out of bounds because they are hazardous. In most parts of North America, going out of bounds goes against local law and you may, at best, have your lift pass confiscated. Normally, there is a physical fence with warning signs so you will know where the boundaries lie.

It is your responsibility to ensure that on any particular day you are aware of and obey local advice, information and instructions given by the resort authorities and obey any signs and information you encounter on the mountain. The source of this information will vary from resort to resort and country to country, and it is your responsibility to find this information.  If a section is marked closed, there will be a very good reason for it (e.g. high avalanche danger), and ignoring such signs could be very dangerous. Additionally, you should never ski out of bounds (off-piste) alone.


Will I get rescued by helicopter?

Whether you are on the ski slopes, in the rain forest or in the Himalayas, the transportation system used is the choice of those attending you at the scene. For instance, ski patrollers are generally very well trained and experienced at assessing injuries and managing the evacuation of the injured person off the mountain and to an appropriate medical facility in the manner most appropriate for the injured person's condition. They will decide what is appropriate for the circumstances, regardless of who insures you. Serious cases often involve helicopters. More often, a combination of sled, ski lift, and ambulance is more immediate and appropriate.

Other factors such as weather, remoteness, and the local availability of rescue systems are also taken into account. Again, it is not uncommon to be asked for proof of insurance while on the mountain. Therefore, please ensure that you have your Dogtag on you at all times.

What is the definition of Offshore Sailing?

Offshore sailing is defined for the purposes of this insurance to be sailing 12 miles (10.5 Nautical miles or 19.3 Km) from the coastline. Inshore sailing is, of course, sailing within 12 miles of the coastline or in inland waterways.

Affordable Care Act FAQs

What is the Affordable Care Act?

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, commonly known as PPACA, was first introduced as a measure to improve access, affordability, and quality of health care. 

The heart of PPACA consists of three provisions: guaranteed issue (insurers must offer coverage regardless of the applicant’s health status or pre-existing conditions), community rating (insurers must offer policies within a given territory at the same price regardless of health status, age, gender, or other factors), and an individual mandate. The individual mandate assures that everyone has a minimum amount of coverage: those above a certain annual income are required to purchase coverage or incur a tax penalty; those who cannot afford it will have their coverage paid for by the government.

We frequently receive questions about PPACA from agents and customers. Below are some frequently asked questions and answers to help you understand PPACA’s impact on the international insurance business.


Am I a Resident or Non-Resident Alien?

The IRS states that you are a non-resident alien unless you meet either the green card test or the substantial presence test.

According to IRS Publication 519, Tax Guide for Aliens, under the green card test, green card holders are resident aliens for tax purposes. The substantial presence test uses a formula to count the number of days present in the U.S. over the past 3 years. Generally, you are a resident alien after six months of presence in the U.S. – unless you are exempt.

Exempt non-U.S. citizens include:

A non-U.S. citizen who is not a permanent legal resident (the green card test) or has not been in the U.S. for 183 days over the last three year period.

A non-U.S. citizen temporarily present in the United States as a foreign government-related individual under an “A” or “G” visa.

A non-U.S. citizen teacher or trainee temporarily present in the United States under a “J” or “Q” visa.

A non-U.S. citizen student temporarily present in the United States under an “F,” “J,” “M,” or “Q” visa.

A non-U.S. citizen professional athlete temporarily in the United States to compete in a charitable sports event; and

Expatriate employees living outside of their home countries for six months or more of a year.

A person who is required to, but does not have minimum essential coverage for up to three months during the year (only one three-month period allowed each year).

Here are some Alien Residence examples to assist you.

I am a U.S. citizen who will be temporarily traveling outside of the U.S. Do I need PPACA coverage for this?

DOGTAG’s short-term international travel medical products are not a substitute for minimum essential coverage that you may need to have under PPACA. However, since most PPACA plans do not provide the types of international benefits and assistance that travelers need, you should strongly consider purchasing an international travel medical plan such as DOGTAG’s Travel Medical Insurance for coverage while you travel outside of the U.S.

If you are a U.S. citizen, national or an “alien lawfully present” in the U.S., you will need to maintain minimum essential coverage unless you are exempt. Exemptions include:

Individuals not residing in the U.S.

Non-U.S. citizens who are “non-resident aliens” (for U.S. income tax purposes). See Am I a Resident or Non-Resident Alien?

Individuals with a coverage gap of less than 3 months.

Individuals who cannot afford coverage (i.e. required contribution exceeds 8% of household income).

Individuals with a religious conscience exemption (applies only to certain faiths).

Members of a health care sharing ministry.

Incarcerated individuals.

Individuals with income below the tax filing threshold; and

Members of Indian tribes.

In general, PPACA does not govern short-term limited duration insurance, like DOGTAG’s short-term travel medical insurance programs

However, please understand that under PPACA, as of January 1, 2014, extensions of short-term coverage will be limited to less than 12 months to meet the definition of a short-term limited duration plan.